Most played internet stations (*) + more recommendations. No info about shows/presentation means at least 80% non-stop music.
Various genres, but often pop or rock
- BBC Radio 6 * – From the UK, playing many kinds of pop and rock music; both (good) mainstream and less mainstream. Some music is decades old, other music is brand new. Much presentation.
- Pinguin Pluche – From The Netherlands: The soft/relaxed stream of the Pinguin family, frequently playing songs in the Dutch language but also world music.
- Pinguin Radio – From The Netherlands: The original Pinguin Radio, playing new and old (semi-)alternative music.
- Studio Brussel * – From Belgium (Dutch spoken): Varied music, old and new, a mix of (good) mainstream and slightly alternative. Much presentation. I personally recommend Lefto’s show, broadcast from September till June but always available at Mixcloud. Much presentation.
Black/exotic/from the beat scene/or combinations
- Alternativeradio * – From France: An amateur station playing many kinds of exotic and urban music; from the 60s till now.
- Bolz Radio – From France: An amateur station playing many kinds of music, but often on the funky/soulful/jazzy/urban/world music side, and often unknown stuff.
- Bruzz – From Belgium (Dutch spoken). It’s been put into this category because of the genre shows late at night; often published at their Mixcloud account. Recommended: Chunks Of Funk and The Jazz Station, both at Sunday night. During office hours (Central European Time) it’s a station with local news from Brussels and better known tracks.
- Djam Radio – From France. Mostly black and relaxed types of music (sometimes world music). There’s the possibility to vote for the songs.
- FIP * – From France: A mix of pop, funk, jazz, blues, urban, world, a little bit of hip hop and electronic, and even classical music. With presentation, in a subtle way though, by sweet female voices.
- FIP Autour Du Jazz * – From France: The jazzy part of the FIP family. The station plays many types of jazz, from oldfashioned to modern.
- FIP Autour Du Groove – From France: The funky part of the FIP family. There’s much variety going on within that funky frame, though.
- FIP Autour Du Monde – From France: The ‘world music’ part of the FIP family.
- Le Mellotron * – From France: Electronic/urban music + something exotic from time to time. This is that specific undefinable format people like Lefto and Gilles Peterson play.
- MondoBongo Radio * – From Greece, and a slightly more powerful alternative for (the regular version of) FIP. An eclectic mix consisting of pop, electronic music, world music, hip hop, jazz, soulful stuff and more. The mixtapes, made by the people behind the station, are at Mixcloud. The station – the mixtapes included – is entirely non-stop, though.
- Nova * – From France. Many kinds of music, old and new, often semi-mainstream and often urban/funky/world music oriented – but also regular pop. Much presentation.
- Pedro Basement Broadcast * – From France: Laurent Garnier plays his favorite tracks, in many, many styles, although the combination of tracks is slightly related to Gilles Peterson’s style.
- Radio Fly Foot Selecta – From France: An amateur station playing exotic sounding music; much reggae.
- Radio Meuh. From France, and musicwise similar to MondoBongo Radio (mentioned before in this section). I prefer MondoBongo Radio, though.
- Tout Nouveau, Tout FIP – From France and part of the FIP family. It’s like the ‘regular’ FIP, but just playing music released the last couple of years.
- Worldwide FM – From the UK: A Gilles Peterson creation. World music, jazzy stuff, beats, soulful hip hop and more; somewhat similar to Le Mellotron (but I prefer Le Mellotron). Many shows.
- Deep FM – From the Netherlands (Dutch spoken). Many kinds of dance music and a complete, thought-out program schedule.
- FIP, Auteur De L’Electro * – From France, playing subtle kinds of electronic music. Partly midtempo, partly uptempo. One of FIP’s sub streams.
- Kif Radio – From France. I’m talking about the ‘original’ Kif (there are three stations more): a mix of disco, funk and groovy house.
- Laut.FM Minimal Calling – From Germany. Non-stop techno, tech house and minimal.
- Pro FM – From the Netherlands, despite the English language: Many kinds of (quite) mainstream, danceable music; from the late 70s till now. Often non-stop, sometimes presentation.
- RauteMusik TechHouse – From Germany, playing tech house and minimal. Very similar to the Minimal Calling stream.
- Underground FG * – From France. This station plays techno, tech house, minimal and subtle kinds of ‘regular’ house, and from time to time there are dj mixes. On the same website I also recommend FG House Chic.
- Bluemars – Unknown heritage. Spacy, ethereal music. It’s somewhat similar to the station below, on the same ‘Echoes Of Bluemars’ website – although I prefer that one.
- Cryosleep * – Unknown heritage. Ambient music, zero beats, non-stop. The ‘Echoes Of Bluemars’-streams are copies of the original Bluemars streams btw, made by a fan of the (since a couple of years not existing anymore) original streams.
- OEM Radio – From the USA. Many kinds of electronic music, at their Facebook page they say ‘downtempo, IDM, ambient, dub, minimal techno, psychill, glitch-hop, others’.
- Groove Salad – From the USA. One of the Soma FM streams, playing lounge/downtempo.
- Drone Zone * – From the USA. One of the Soma FM streams, playing ambient music.
- Intergalactic FM, The Garden – From The Netherlands, playing atmospheric music. Ambient, jazz and more.
Impossible to make head or tails of it
- Ckut – From Canada. A Montreal based college station, playing tracks within about 1001 styles, often quite obscure. There’s a complete schedule and often much talk between the tracks. You can download their shows; among them the great WeFunk show. Sadly, there are no playlists published.
- WFMU – From The USA. A New York based, independent station similar to Ckut. A complete schedule, a weird mix of styles, much talk. But in opposite to Ckut, there are tracks titles shown in the display of my wifi radio.